Who We Represent
In his injury and death practice, Mr. Slater represents clients in lawsuits involving defective products, catastrophic injuries, and wrongful death. In these cases, he represents those who suffered the serious injury or lost a loved one (plaintiffs), as well as those who are accused of causing the injury or death (defendants).
In his professional liability practice, Mr. Slater defends professionals who have been accused of committing malpractice, breaching fiduciary duties, or violating ethical obligations. He has extensive experience in this area and has successfully defended lawyers and law firms from across the country in dozens of high-stakes malpractice lawsuits.
In his business litigation practice, Mr. Slater represents clients who are experiencing a business dispute of some kind, such as ones involving contracts, misrepresentation or fraud, unfair competition (including violating non-competes, taking or using someone else’s intellectual property or trade secrets, and deceiving consumers), and internal disagreements within companies or partnerships. He is also experienced in handling disputes between buyers and sellers of businesses after they enter into mergers, acquisitions, and other complex business transactions.
When not practicing law, Mr. Slater enjoys spending time with his wife and children, basketball, golf, tennis, live music, outdoor activities, and following University of Florida football and basketball. He is also active in the local community, where he serves on the board of the Tampa Metropolitan YMCA (North Tampa Branch).
Previous Professional Experience
Prior to co-founding Slater | Grant, Mr. Slater was a shareholder at the well-respected Tampa firm of Hill Ward Henderson. He also served as a judicial intern for The Honorable Susan C. Bucklew at the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida and for The Honorable Chief Judge Chris W. Altenbernd at Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal.
Awards and Distinctions
- Highest score on The Florida Bar Examination, Second District Court of Appeal jurisdiction
- AVVO 10 out of 10 “Superb” Rating
- Florida Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars” (Professional Liability) (2009—present)
- Florida Trend, “Legal Elite” (Civil Trial) (2012—present)
- Stetson Law Review
- Stetson Trial Team
- First Place and Best Advocate, Chester Bedell Memorial Mock Trial Competition
- National Order of Barristers
Bar Association Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section
- East Pasco Bar Association
- All Florida state courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board member, Tampa Metropolitan YMCA (North Tampa Branch)
- Chair-Elect, Professional Liability Insurance Committee, ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Contributing Member, ABA Military Pro Bono Project
- Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA)
Publications and Presentations
- Author/Speaker, Mitigating Losses through Agent E&O Policies: Tips for Title Insurers and Their Counsel
- Speaker/Moderator, Counsel, We Have a Problem: The Legal, Ethical and Insurance Coverage Issues Involved in Mounting a Defense When One of Your Firm’s Attorneys is Accused of Committing Malpractice, ABA TIPS Section Conference, Philadelphia, PA (Spring 2015)
- Speaker/Panelist, Avoiding Legal Malpractice, Clearwater Bar Association CLE Seminar
- Moderator, Practicing with Professionalism, Florida Bar CLE Seminar
- Author, Florida’s Blaine Amendment and Its Effect on Educational Opportunities, 33 Stet. L. Rev. 581
- Author, All is Not Lost: Enforcing Judgments against Liability Insurers, HCBA Lawyer
- Author, Recent Developments, 32 Stet. L. Rev. 539, 559-560, 673-677, 688-691, 699-701, 713-715